Clearing the Barrel

Recently I had the experience of clearing a barrel here in Jamaica. After been told the barrel was coming I when searching the internet for steps and found   this link on the Jamaica Custom House  website (https://www.jacustoms.gov.jm/article/customs-house-%E2%80%94-steps-clearing-barrel).
The barrel took more that 3 weeks to  get here from it USA address and I was told it was because of where it was coming from. I was happy to get the call that it was here and applied for the time from work and source transportation.
Even after mapping out my journey on google map, getting to the shipping company was a little hard that I thought with all the one way street of Kingston Wharf area. That's when I found out their are persons who make a living helping persons finding there way around. So I got shipping documents from the shipping agent and pay the relevant handling and/or freight charges then heading off to warehouse with a " tour guide" on board. We parked in a parking area close to the building and I walked to the gate.
 I showed the shipping documents to the security personnel at the warehouse who directed me to the cashier when I made payment of storage. Then was directed to waiting area, at the entrance gave the paperwork to the security at the desk that pass it to the warehouse and I was told I could have a seat. Here I was sitting and waiting on my name to be call. While been entertained by the other customer conversation with the custom personnel. Especially a gentleman who was complaining about the large sum he need to pay for two used TVs and the cost being more that 5 times what the TVs actually cost.
My name to called for me to enter the warehouse and stand next to my barrel and await instruction from the customs. To be told by customs they are unable to process as the barrel is only labelled at the top and not the base. Therefore I will have to get a letter from the shipping company.I called to inform the shipping company and was told there was a cost for the letter. I went back to the shipping company , paid the fee for the letter and back to customs. They requested for me to empty the barrel for they to check the items.
After the barrel was repackaged it was back to the waiting room to waiting your name to be called again.You are then given the paperwork to go to the cashier. After the cashier the section where you a given a gate pass. Followed by us driving through the security gate with a security check. After parking I walked up the steps with the paperwork , joined a line to enter a office where they manual copy information from the paperwork as well as the driver licence for the driver of the vehicle. Then the paperwork is sent into the warehouse and the barrel is placed on a pallet and checked. Thinking this was the end, nope. Join another line into any office where the paperwork is collected and a slip handed back to you. Then I pointed out the barrel to the fork lift operator who brought it to the car. Follow by another security check and departure.
My overall view is there are a lot of steps and a some view manual process that could be revamped.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Jobs 2018

Jamaica Public Service (JPS) taxes late fee charges!!

My Heartbeat